Monday, August 29, 2011

Shard update

click photos to enlarge
On my recent visit to London I took a few more shots of The Shard, the tall, tapering, glass splinter-like tower that is rising above London on the south bank of the Thames. I usually manage to get photographs of the building from my Rotherhithe balcony and from the More London district of the South Bank, and I did so again. However, during our visit we also needed to visit the hospitals next door to The Shard and so I was able to get a shot looking up at the rapidly growing structure.

Two red lifts were scuttling up and down their ladder-like track that is fixed to the side of the building, transporting men and materials to wherever they were needed. As I gazed up at the gleaming building it struck me that a tapering tower not only is lighter in terms of mass than the usual cuboid, it looks much lighter and doesn't dominate the area as a more conventional shape would.
The observant visitor will notice, in the bottom right of the frame of the main image, the wire mesh cladding of the combined heat and power unit that is the subject of yesterday's blog post, and above it the grim, stained concrete of the hospital tower. Incidentally, the photograph of The Shard taken from Rotherhithe dates from the same evening as the wonderful sunset photograph that I posted a couple of days ago. And, further to that marvellous sight, the Daily Telegraph newspaper noted the sunset as one of the best in London in recent years and featured a photograph of it on their website.


photographs and text (c) T. Boughen

Camera: Canon
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 24mm
F No: f7.1
Shutter Speed: 1/500
ISO: 100
Exposure Compensation:  -0.33 EV
Image Stabilisation: On