Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Semi-detached blogging

click photo to enlarge
People are incidental subjects in most of the photographs on this blog, yet lately they are the main subject filling the memory cards of my cameras. Not since I was a parent of young children has this been the case. So what has brought about this change, and why are there still few shots posted that feature a person? Well, the fact is that our first grandchild appeared a few months ago and, understandably, I've found her to be a compelling photographic subject, albeit not one that I will post on PhotoReflect.

It also accounts for the semi-detached nature of my recent blogging. I've fitted in photographs and the associated prose in between travelling, fulfilling the job description of grandfather, and undertaking the essential everyday tasks that just don't go away. Which is my way of explaining and apologising for the lack of replies to people's comments, and for the nature of my recent output. The fact is my mind, attention and efforts  have often been directed to other areas of my life. You can tell that this is so because when I'm busy I often turn to my garden for a shot or two, as with today's image of a hoverfly on one of my favourite showy flowers, the gaillardia.

photograph and text (c) T. Boughen

Camera: Canon
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 100mm
F No: f5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/80
ISO: 125
Exposure Compensation:  0
Image Stabilisation: On