Saturday, June 28, 2014

Doorways and light

click photo to enlarge
On a return journey from the Yorkshire Dales we called in at Bolsover Castle, a structure of medieval foundation with much that stands dating to the seventeenth century. English castles are often quite imposing and this one is no exception. Its location, along the brow of a hill, is very impressive and both the exterior and interior of the main structure offer the photographer many interesting subjects.

However, when I review photographs that I take at such locations I often find that the "standard" shots - views, towers, battlements, doorways, interior decoration etc. leave me, photographically speaking, somewhat cold. I think that what happens is, my interest in architecture too often gets in the way of my photographer's eye. Fortunately it doesn't completely blind me and I always manage to get a few shots that are composed solely for their more photographic qualities. Invariably these are the ones I like best.

Today's photograph was taken for two main reasons: the muted colours and the way the light was falling. It shows some of the seventeenth century interior design, but in a dark setting and shadows with the doorway providing the highlight. I particularly liked the way the angles of both the room and the light related to the portrait format frame of the viewfinder.

photograph and text © Tony Boughen

Camera: Nikon D5300
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 26mm (39mm - 35mm equiv.)
F No: f8
Shutter Speed: 1/40 sec
ISO:3600
Exposure Compensation: 0 EV
Image Stabilisation: On