Sunday, December 29, 2013

Normal service is about to resume

click photo to enlarge
Unusually for this blog it's been on autopilot for a few days while I've been at home and I haven't attended to it at all. We've had a family Christmas with children and grandchildren staying, and that has been my alternate focus over the festive period. But, they've now headed off to their respective homes so here's a short post to keep things ticking over. Normal service will be resumed from tomorrow - I think.

After the colourful Christmas-themed post of bells, baubles and glitter balls I felt a need for a contrast; something simpler, starker and more restful. So, here is a photograph I took a week or so ago when we stopped off in Barton upon Humber having returned from the part of Yorkshire just over the river. It shows a rather utilitarian (and uncomfortable) chair on an equally utilitarian floor next to strictly functional walls made of painted blocks and glass bricks. On the face of it not the most inviting of rooms. However, the light through the glass wall emphasised the lines and shapes very nicely, silhouetted the chair, and gave the whole scene a luminous quality that looked like it would convert to black and white very well. And so it did. Or at least I think it did!

I've written elsewhere on the blog about how I like the effects that glass bricks produce and how I wish they were more widely used. I'm pleased to say that appears to be the case. I've seen quite a few more of them in new buildings in recent years, though I'm sure I can't claim any credit for that!

photograph and text © Tony Boughen

Camera: Lumix G6
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 24mm (48mm - 35mm equiv.)
F No: f4.5
Shutter Speed: 1/125 sec
ISO: 160
Exposure Compensation: 0 EV
Image Stabilisation: On