Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Familiarisation

click photo to enlarge
I've been familiarising myself with my new camera over the past few days. Not just the obvious things such as how to change the exposure mode, white balance or ISO: those will come quickly with regular use. No, the character of the camera is what I've been wrestling with - composing within an aspect ratio of 3:2 rather than 4:3, how to make it give me the sort of exposure that I like, and especially how to expose for images with a wide dynamic range.

Today's photograph is pretty much an exercise in the latter. A sunlit medieval church, in this case St Peter & St Paul at Algarkirk, Lincolnshire, taken in the afternoon from below trees that are casting deep and dappled shadows. The final image (one of seven I took) has had some post-processing to bring the image nearer to what my eye saw and my brain remembers.

The composition of this photograph is a fairly standard one with the dark shadows and trees framing the building. Behind the building the sky shows that appealing quality often seen on sunny autumn afternoons, the beauty of the clouds being in the many delicate shades of grey on show. In fact, the photograph is something of a late October version of a shot I took in June 2008 that accompanies a blog piece about the village name and the church.


photograph and text (c) T. Boughen
Image data in Exif