Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A quandary



click photo to enlarge
I was standing in a Worcestershire orchard on a recent afternoon when my youngest son arrived in his car, parked next to me, and presented me with the image of today's photograph. His car is dark blue, the sky was blue, and the sun had just slipped behind one of the plentiful white clouds. The reflection that started on the car's bonnet near to my feet, extended up to the wiper blades, then was repeated on the windscreen, was very arresting and almost stood up and demanded to be snapped. I immediately knew the image would work in colour but also wondered about black and white, so, breaking a habit of my digital lifetime I took two shots, one colour and one in monochrome.

However, when I came to process the images the colour shot was clearly a better composition, so I binned the black and white shot and did a conversion on the colour image. The resulting photographs are shown above. I've posted two because I'm not sure which I prefer: the impact of colour or the more abstract looking black and white where the bonnet and windscreen are more homogeneous.

N.B. This post should have the title, "A quandary and a puzzle" because I have NO IDEA why the colour image doesn't offer an enlarged version when clicked.

photograph and text (c) T. Boughen

Camera: Lumix LX3
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 5.1mm (24mm/35mm equiv.)
F No: f4
Shutter Speed: 1/1000
ISO: 80
Exposure Compensation: -1.0 EV
Image Stabilisation: On