Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Purple-edged white carnation

click photo to enlarge
My current macro lens is a Four Thirds (not Micro Four Thirds) 35mm 3.5 model that I used when I shot with Four Thirds cameras. I hung on to it because I thought it would transfer reasonably well to the new bodies with an adapter. And it does. It's a simple lens, like most macro lenses, and its very sharp, again, like most macro lenses! The adapter I have is an inexpensive, but not cheap, Chinese model and it works very well.

When I was taking a few photographs in the garden recently I spotted it in the lens drawer and thought it was time I used it again. However, the flower that turned out best was in a vase in the house - a purple-edged white (or light pink) carnation. I've said elsewhere that the tulip is one of the flowers I've photographed most, but the carnation must be in second (or maybe third - those poppies!) place. This one appealed to me as much for the soft daylight and reflected light in which it was bathed. It was penetrating the inner recesses of the bloom and gave a nicely semi-abstract, drawn look to the two dimensional image.

photograph and text © Tony Boughen

Photo Title: Purple-Edged White Carnation
Camera: Olympus E-M10
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 35mm (70mm - 35mm equiv.) crop
F No: f5
Shutter Speed: 1/80 sec
ISO:200
Exposure Compensation: -0.7 EV
Image Stabilisation: On