Thursday, October 04, 2012

Sweet peppers

click photo to enlarge
I can take only a relatively small amount of credit for the produce that grows in our greenhouse. Most of the work there is done by my wife though I do help to get it ready for the growing season, clear it after that period has ended and I also do maintenance jobs periodically on the structure itself.

The food crops that we regularly grow in it are tomatoes (Gardener's Delight has been our preferred variety for many years) and green peppers (we've tried quite a few varieties but not settled on one). Each year, alongside these staples, something different is given a try; this year it was other varieties and colours of sweet peppers, chili peppers and aubergines. Of course, the greenhouse also holds quite a lot of flowering plants and is used for bringing on flowers and vegetables that are to be planted out in the garden or vegetable plot.

2012 has been a year of mixed fortunes in the garden and the greenhouse. Dull, rainy and unseasonal cold weather in spring and early summer doesn't usually result in flourishing plants. So, in the greenhouse the tomatoes haven't been as good as usual. However, the peppers have done quite well. When my wife brought a collection into the house recently she suggested they might make a photograph. Not being one to miss an opportunity I waited until she'd cleaned and polished the peppers then I put them on a shallow glass dish and photographed them on a sheet of my favoured black vinyl. The deep colours show off well against black. I used a sheet of white vinyl as a reflector to get the natural light just as I wanted it.

photograph and text © Tony Boughen

Camera: Canon
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 55mm
F No: f11
Shutter Speed: 1/3 sec
ISO: 100
Exposure Compensation:  -0.33 EV
Image Stabilisation: On