Monday, June 13, 2011

More on the public/private issue

click photo to enlarge
I've visited London a few times in recent weeks. It's a trip I always enjoy, not only for seeing the members of my family who live there, but also for the photographic opportunities that it brings. Yesterday's post notwithstanding, photography in London is largely a pleasure for a number of reasons. Firstly, photographic subjects abound - everywhere. Secondly, people in a busy capital city are used to people walking around with cameras and taking shots of whatever takes their fancy: unlike in country areas they often don't give you a second glance. And thirdly, the big city is a great contrast to my area of rural Lincolnshire, so I welcome the opportunity to snap away at "different" subjects.

My stays in London are based on the south bank of the Thames a little upstream and across the river from Canary Wharf (the biggest area of "private public space" in London), so a short morning walk often takes me to locations across the river from its gleaming towers. Of course, photographing this private area from the public footpath on the opposite side of the river presents no problems. I've most enjoyed shooting this financial district in fog, and have produced several images that I've been pleased with (see here, here and here), but I've also captured it in the early evening and in full sun. Only on a couple of occasions have I ventured into its precincts, and thus far I've not been bothered by anyone objecting to my camera.

Today's photograph was taken on a sunny June morning with a deep blue sky dotted with "cotton wool" clouds. Even though the sun was pretty much behind me and there was little modelling by shadows, the scene looked quite three-dimensional due to those clouds, and so I took my shot.

Incidentally, for anyone following yesterday's post, I received a very prompt, courteous and detailed response to my letter to More London regarding photography. When I've digested it and discussed it further I'll write to them again. Then I'll turn my attention to the owners of the building I was prevented from photographing and also to the London mayor's office.

photograph and text (c) T. Boughen

Camera: Canon
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 35mm
F No: f8
Shutter Speed: 1/640
ISO: 100
Exposure Compensation:  -0.33 EV
Image Stabilisation: On