Monday, August 23, 2010

The Tower Hamlets Trayned Bandes

click photo to enlarge
I received an email the other day. It was a good humoured complaint. The writer was concerned to point out that the two photographs I posted of members of The Tower Hamlets Trayned Bandes re-enactment group (here and here) didn't reflect the pleasure that comes from taking part in such activities. My correspondent was complimentary about my images in all other respects, but wondered if I'd taken any shots that showed the members of the English Civil War organisation with smiles on their faces.

I'm pleased to say that not only did the Bandes' members generally go about their business smiling, I actually caught them in the act, and today I'm happy to post the proof. However, why some of them were smiling as they trooped back to their encampment after a skirmish I don't know, because they'd just been shot to death! I suppose the ability to rise from the dead after the battle is over and go and have a a bit of food and drink in the bosom of your family and friends is one of the pleasures of this kind of activity.

photograph and text (c) T. Boughen

Camera: Olympus E510
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 102mm (204mm/35mm equiv.)
F No: f6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/125
ISO: 100
Exposure Compensation: -0.3 EV
Image Stabilisation: On