Monday, December 21, 2009

Snow and colour

click photo to enlarge
It will come as no surprise to most people to hear that my usual way of feeding this blog is to build up a sequence of posts several days ahead, and then spend a few days when I don't prepare anything. Photographs, with me, tend to come in bursts. Quite often, in a single day, I'll gather three or four shots that I think are good enough to post. On other occasions it's just one shot that makes the cut from a day's photography, and sometimes it's none. When I've got a group of images I can write three posts in an evening, a couple the next night, line them up for posting, and leave the computer to do the rest.

The recent fall of snow in Lincolnshire has provided me with several images that I'll be posting in the near future. However, snow does present one drawback when it comes to a sequence of photographs - all the shots tend to be a touch "samey", fairly monochrome, dominated by black, white and blue. So, strong colours to go with these three must be actively sought. "What about holly berries and robins?" I hear someone cry from the wings. Well, I've done the robin, but not yet the berries. However, on an afternoon walk through snow-covered fields and lanes I was pleased to come upon a subject that I've posted two images of previously (here and here), that does feature strong colours. These modern houses on the edge of the small village of Bicker were positively glowing against the wintry backdrop, and invited another shot. A step or two into the edge of a field gave me some grassy foregound interest, and the bright houses against a dark, lowering sky completed the image.

photograph & text (c) T. Boughen

Camera: Lumix LX3
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 9.3mm (44mm/35mm equiv.)
F No: f6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/1000
ISO: 80
Exposure Compensation: 0 EV
Image Stabilisation: On