Sunday, December 07, 2008

Op, Pop and The Avengers

click photo to enlarge
Here's the second of my 1960s-inspired images. The other week I bought a couple of inexpensive decorative pots for plants. One is black with white circles, the other white with black circles. My intention was to fill them with the "right" plants and display them side by side. I haven't decided what the right plants are yet - any suggestions welcome - so they are sitting in a cupboard waiting for inspiration to strike. When I was wondering what I could put into my 1960s still life these pots immediately came to mind.

I used the same pieces of black and white vinyl as in yesterday's shot, butted edge to edge, and placed one pot the right way up and the other upside down next to it. I moved them around with reference to the line in the surface they were on, and tried to get a good, asymmetrical, angular, semi-abstract composition that used the light to model the objects.

This is the best of my efforts. I've tried to achieve interest and balance. Unlike yesterday's image this one is in full colour! The image reminds me a little of the set designs that featured in the 1960s TV series, "The Avengers", with Diana Rigg (Mrs Peel) and Patrick McNee (Steed), that ran from 1965-1968. That series was particularly innovative in the way it incorporated ideas from Op Art and Pop Art into its design. The best episodes were like nothing else on TV at the time. This shot might be like nothing else you've seen on a photoblog for a while.

photograph & text (c) T. Boughen

Camera: Olympus E510
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 35mm macro (70mm/35mm equiv.)
F No: f16
Shutter Speed: 0.8 sec
ISO: 100
Exposure Compensation: -1.7 EV
Image Stabilisation: Off