Friday, December 30, 2005

Ah, the great outdoors

"I have two doctors", said the great English historian, G. M. Trevelyan, "my left leg and my right." And who can deny that a walk in the mountains is good for the body and the soul. The trouble is they are so high!

This representation of the Lake District mountains stands on the sea front promenade at Morecambe, Lancashire. The idea is that you stand back from it, in a raised position, and compare the view across the bay with the scheme laid out before you, and in so doing find out which bit is which. It's a panorama information board writ large! I get the impression that it isn't very popular because I see few people making use of it. Perhaps it's the rusting iron finish (deliberate), or the fact that it blocks your view and you have to go out of your way to use it properly. But it's probably because most of those who might use it are to be found a couple of hundred yards further along, having their photographs taken next to a slighly larger than life-size sculpture of the late great English comedian, Eric Morecambe.

I took this photograph of my wife in front of it because it makes for a strange image. I'd also noticed that by judicious placement her figure could produce both a shadow on the edifice and a reflection in a nearby puddle. Our walk that day had been along the shore. But, seeing the names here before us I was reminded that it's a while since we were on top of Helvellyn. Perhaps next year!
photograph & text (c) T. Boughen