Friday, December 11, 2009

A macro experiment

click photo to enlarge
Standing waiting for my wife in a large DIY shed's car park, I glanced at the shrubs that had been planted around its perimeter. Though it was December the Hebe "Midsummer Beauty" was still in flower. "Global warming?" I thought. But when I checked its flowering dates back at home I found that it can continue to November, so maybe it couldn't be advanced as evidence to the deniers. The cotoneasters were in full berry though most of the leaves on the deciduous varieties had gone. Nestling in my pocket was the LX3 so I took a couple of shots of the shrubs.

Wandering alond the border I came upon a spider's web with water droplets strung along its threads. I've posted a shot recently of this subject taken with the E510 and the Zuiko 35mm macro. "How would the LX3 handle the subject?" I wondered. So I slipped it into macro mode and took today's shot. When I brought the photograph up on my computer my answer was, "Not bad at all!" It doesn't have quite the detail of the Olympus, and the bokeh of the lens and the depth of field control doesn't compare. However, the result is I think, quite acceptable.

This is a slight crop of the shot, with some noise suppression and sharpening. The colour and contrast haven't been touched. I have the feeling it would print quite well.

photograph & text (c) T. Boughen

Camera: Lumix LX3
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 5.1mm (24mm/35mm equiv.)
F No: f2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/250
ISO: 80
Exposure Compensation: -0.66 EV
Image Stabilisation: On

No comments: