Monday, July 25, 2011

London's rubbish

click photo to enlarge
The apostrophe in today's title is used in the possessive sense rather than as an elision (no insult is intended!) because the photograph shows Cory Environmental's tug, "Recovery", pulling two barge loads of containers containing waste down the River Thames to either their materials recycling facility or the "energy from waste" power station.

I've photographed this activity before but the last image I posted was taken at night. Here the weather and light was excellent for photography, and I used it as an opportunity to try out my graduated neutral density filter. I also wanted to try a wider view of this section of the Thames opposite the red brick pyramids of Free Trade Wharf. I'm pleased with the result.

In future I'll note when I use a filter on the camera. You won't be surprised to find that quite a few of the forthcoming posts feature the one used in this image.

photograph and text (c) T. Boughen

Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 24mm
F No: f6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/800
ISO: 100
Exposure Compensation:  -0.33 EV
Image Stabilisation: On
Filter: Graduated ND8