Thursday, May 27, 2010

Things that bug me No. 137

click photo to enlarge
Each time I go into the town of Boston in Lincolnshire, and cross the Town Bridge over the River Witham, I gaze upstream at the very tall tower of the medieval church of St Botolph. The view from this location is one of the classic views of this building, and I usually take the opportunity to add to my stock of images. The prospect from the bridge changes with the seasons, the weather, the clouds, the state of the tide, etc., so I often come away with a photograph that is in some way different from all the others I've taken. Compare this example, with today's post.

Of course, a shot of the same scene from the same position has much that is the same too. And this particular view has one detail that really bugs me, a feature that only causes me concern when the sun is shining. Can you guess what it is? In fact, it's the writing on the side of the Britannia pub that advertises beer. "Batemans Good Honest Ales" is what it says, though it isn't always legible. That's because all the letters are mounted slightly away from the wall surface and each throws a shadow so that in a photograph it causes the words to appear blurred. And yes, it bugs me. My eyes are drawn to it. And now that I've mentioned it yours will be too! Perhaps I should have kept quiet.

photograph & text (c) T. Boughen

Camera: Lumix LX3
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 6.8mm (32mm/35mm equiv.)
F No: f4
Shutter Speed: 1/1000
ISO: 80
Exposure Compensation: -0.66 EV
Image Stabilisation: On