Saturday, June 13, 2009

Lilies and Euphorbia

click photo to enlarge
"Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow:
they toil not, neither do they spin.
Yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these."
Matthew 6: 28-69

There are plenty of people who would agree with this verse from Matthew's Gospel, and place the lilies among the most beautiful of flowers, but I'm not one of them. There are legions of flowers that I would place before the lily - the dog daisy, the cranesbill, honeysuckle and the poppy to name but four. Mind you, I can't see what all the fuss is over orchids either, so perhaps my taste in flowers isn't particularly mainstream and I'm very much out of step in this area.

One of the pleasures of a garden is the cut flowers that it can provide for much of the year. Spring, summer and autumn are the times of plenty, but even winter can offer a few flowers, berries and interesting leaves. And, if you are so minded, you can dry flowers, such as michaelmas daisies and honesty, for winter display.

Today's photograph is another in my series of still life photographs involving a vase of flowers. Regular readers will remember the previous one, with its link to earlier examples. Once again this is a collection put together by my wife and purloined by me. It's a variation on my usual theme, but with a slightly different background colour.

photograph & text (c) T. Boughen

Camera: Olympus E510
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 35mm macro (70mm/35mm equiv.)
F No: f7.1
Shutter Speed: 1/4
ISO: 100
Exposure Compensation: -0.7 EV
Image Stabilisation: Off