Wednesday, November 26, 2008

500th PhotoReflect Post

click photo to enlarge
I'd like to have marked this, the 500th PhotoReflect post, with a stunning image of an interesting subject portrayed in high-impact colour, with an innovative composition - a shot that makes people go, "Wow!" But I've run out of those, so here's a photograph of some cows instead!

I've always felt that if cows liked music then Friesians would be into strong commercial pop - Blondie, the Petshop Boys and the like; that Jerseys and Guernseys would prefer ballads by Shirley Bassey or Dean Martin; and Highland cattle (like those in today's offering) would be fans of early heavy metal. I can just picture the shaggy beasts, heads down, locks swaying, a trance-like look in their fringe-covered eyes, as they get into the groove of Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water" or Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love".

Is it coincidence that cattle bred in the Highlands and Islands of western Scotland should have handle-bar horns, long ginger hair and prefer the thundering drums and wailing guitars of rock to the fiddles and accordions of Scottish folk music? Probably not. It's said that dogs and their masters grow to look alike, so why shouldn't a land settled by the Vikings and with more than a hint of ginger in the hair of its population produce red-headed cattle with big horns? It seems perfectly natural to me! What isn't so natural, however, is that I should find these cattle that were bred for the rugged land and cold, wet climate of Scotland on the flat Lincolnshire Fens. But there they were, late in the afternoon, by the River Welland near Surfleet Seas End, and very willing to strike a pose for me. Perhaps beneath my photographer persona they detected a kindred spirit with a partiality for loud electric music!

photograph & text (c) T. Boughen

Camera: Olympus E510
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 128mm (256mm/35mm equiv.)
F No: f7.1
Shutter Speed: 1/320
ISO: 100
Exposure Compensation: -1.0 EV
Image Stabilisation: On

12 comments:

Mark C said...

500 posts! Well done Tony!

Anton said...

Congratulations Tony, 500 posts is quite an achievement. Being a fellow Olympus user I've followed your blog since soon after you started and I've enjoyed the high standard and the variety of your photographs and "reflections". I look forward to another 500 :-)

Anonymous said...

Great work. How do you find the time?

Henk said...

Congratulations Tony! I can only reflect Anton's words. Chapeau! and thank you.

Henk

JohnW1972 said...

Tony, I've spent quite a few hours going through your posts and always found something of interest to look at and read. I visit most days and though I rarely comment I'm grateful for your insights, information and opinions. You cast your net much wider than most bloggers and I've learnt a lot over the past year I've being coming here. Keep up the good work.

Tony Boughen said...

Thanks Mark, Anton, Anon, Henk & John. I really appreciate the feedback that you leave. I started this blog in December 2005 as a focus for the photography I was doing, to create a photoblog that was a bit different, and to improve my photography. By and large, I think, it has gone some way to achieving those objectives. It's also been a bit of entertainment for me, and I hope, for others. Will there be another 500? Watch this space!

How do I find the time? Well, the photographs would be taken regardless of whether I blogged them or not, the prose doesn't take too long because I usually have an idea of what I want to say, and I rarely write about anything that I don't already know something about. Consequently it's not as time-consuming as people might think.

Regards, Tony

Anonymous said...

That's quite an achievement. Well done.

Anonymous said...

I visited your blog after your post on the Oly Forum, and am amazed at the standard you've maintained for 500 posts. I haven't looked at everything yet but if your Best Of shows you've got some absolutely cracking shots. I'll be looking in regularly.

Tony Boughen said...

Thanks Anon & Anon.

Regards, Tony

JeezNeez said...

Yeah, congratulations on 500. But well done too for this post. It made me laugh! They sure look like heavy metal cows to me :-)

digibirder said...

I've been dipping into your blog for some time, and I'm glad you are now allowing comments.

I do like Highland cattle, and this photo shows them off beautifully.

Congratulations on 500 posts. Looking forward to the next 500.

Tony Boughen said...

Thanks for the comments JeezNeez and Digibirder. They're much appreciated. The Highland cattle have a look all their own don't they, and despite the unkempt appearance and big horns this group were inquisitive and friendly.

Regards, Tony