Monday, November 01, 2010

Seasonal expectations

click photo to enlarge
Sometimes I think I'm out of step with the world: other times I think the world's out of step with me. Take the buying of winter clothes. I expect to be able to go into a shop in February or March and buy items suitable for the season. However, too often the things I want have been removed and replaced with summer wear. Apparently late winter and early spring is the time to buy summer clothing! Or how about Christmas food. You might expect it to be available in the days immediately before Christmas. And some certainly is. But not the full range - that is long gone because it has been on sale from late September!

But it's not just the minds of retailers that are determined to thwart my seasonal expectations, so too is Mother Nature. Today's photographs were gathered on the last days of October and today, the first day of November. The shot of fallen leaves from my cherry tree is just the sort of image I expect to be able to take in early November. But how about the wild flowers. These are all in full bloom too. The cornflowers are having a second flush, and I saw the chamomile in summer too. But this variety of ragwort seems to be making its first appearance, and a photograph of flowers such as these is not what I expect to be shooting just now. Then there's perhaps the most surprising photograph of the three images  - it shows a wild grape vine growing in a hedgerow in Lincolnshire, and producing fine looking grapes. Not too out of season perhaps, but certainly out of place in England: it's a first for me. As I say, not quite what I expect to see given the season.

photographs and text (c) T. Boughen

Photo1
Camera: Canon
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 35mm
F No: f5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/40
ISO: 160
Exposure Compensation: 0 EV
Image Stabilisation: On