Monday, July 19, 2010

Industrial attractions

click photo to enlarge
I find it interesting how many structures that don't appeal in their totality, have details that are attractive, or if not attractive then interesting. Why should this be so? Regular visitors to this blog will know that I like to study the architecture of all periods and styles, and can always find something to admire in a well-designed building regardless of when it was built. I like good modern architecture, and even where I may take issue with a whole building, or the building in its context, I can usually find some part of it that I like. An example would be this detail of the great lump of concrete, steel and glass that is the "Sandcastle" leisure centre in Blackpool, Lancashire, or this detail of the facade of the Globe Theatre, also in Blackpool.

The same is true of industrial structures such as electricity pylons. These metal monsters always subtract something from the landscape that they march across. However, even they, in the right circumstances, can offer something that is worth a second look. Today I came across a fairly new metal water tank. Its paintwork was still pristine, and the strong sunlight was illuminating it in such a way that its details were sharply delineated. It was a strictly functional object that had no styling of any description applied: every part of it was designed and placed with utility in mind. That utilitarian quality was probably the underlying feature that attracted my attention, and the grid of panels overlaid by the ladder, pipes, overflow and circular entry made an interesting semi-abstract arrangement. So, with a blog photograph in mind I pushed my lens between the bars of the surrounding fence and took this shot.

photograph and text (c) T. Boughen

Camera: Olympus E510
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 11mm (22mm/35mm equiv.)
F No: f5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/2000
ISO: 100
Exposure Compensation: -0.7 EV
Image Stabilisation: On