Saturday, March 20, 2010

DIY Man and other tales

click photo to enlarge
I think I'm turning into DIY Man, a superhero with a domestic turn of mind, someone who transforms tired, old vinyl floors into sleek, tiled, "show-home" surfaces, and crumbling garden paving and walls into...well, something better. However, I'm definitely one of the reluctant DIYers, and I find our current oudoor project is taking up too much of my time. It's not leaving me opportunities for getting out and about to enjoy the spring, or for grabbing photographs to feed the blog. Consequently, in the past couple of days we've upped the pace of our work in a dash for the finishing line.

But, you can't undertake eight or nine hour days of heavy manual labour without pausing regularly to re-fuel, and you can't re-fuel if the pantry is empty, so shopping trips have to continue. Today's photograph arises from our most recent trip to buy food, sand, cement and other necessities. Unbeknown to me our kitchen cupboards lack glass bowls suitable for serving up summer sweets - sundaes, trifles, meringues, pavlovas - that sort of thing. So, we bought some. And my wife, who over the years has got the hang of the kind of photographs I take, suggested that these bowls, stacked one inside the other, might make a photograph. So, I had a go at them. The first shots of the clear bowls were alright; semi-abstract macro shots, but nothing particularly special. Then I had a thought. I remembered a shot I'd taken a few years ago of a plastic water bottle that I spiced up by putting a bright orange ball behind it. I searched out a few sheets of brightly coloured paper and positioned them strategically behind the bowls. A detail of the ensemble, which was very quickly put together in a beam of sunlight coming through the back door, was even more quickly snapped using the LX3, tilted, and set to macro mode.

photograph & text (c) T. Boughen

Camera: Lumix LX3
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 5.1mm (24mm/35mm equiv.)
F No: f4
Shutter Speed: 1/800
ISO: 80
Exposure Compensation: 0 EV
Image Stabilisation: On